Certificates of deaths that occurred in Will County are available through the Will County Clerk’s Office.

Death Certificates may be requested by:

  • Immediate relatives of the deceased, including a spouse, parent, child, or sibling.
  • Any individual, or that person’s duly authorized agent, with a personal or property right interest in the record who can supply documentation demonstrating the need for the record from a requesting agency.
  • Any individual for the purposes of genealogical research, provided the requested record is at least 20 years old.

All requests must be accompanied by a valid form of identification. 

Walk in during business hours. Most requests can be processed within just a few minutes.

By mail, include request form, copy of valid id along with payment (check/money order) to the following address:
Attn: Vital Records
Will County Clerk’s Office
302 N. Chicago St.
Joliet, IL 60432

You may also submit a request by email. To do so, complete the above Mail In Request Form, print & sign. Attach a scan or photo of the signed form, as well as a copy of valid ID, and email to vitalrecords@willcounty.gov. Once submitted, please call us at (815) 740-4615 during normal business hours to provide credit card payment over the phone.

Expedited processing and shipping is available through our third-party partner, VitalChek. Please visit their website for information. Additional fees apply.
VitalChek – vitalchek.com

Death Certificates are $13 for one certified copy.

Additional certified copies of the same record are $8 each if requested at the same time.

  • In person requests may be paid for by cash, personal check, money order or credit/debit.
  • Requests by mail must be accompanied by a personal check or money order.
  • For electronic requests, call (815) 740-4615 to provide credit/debit payment over the phone. IMPORTANT: Please do not include credit card information.

The Will County Clerk’s Office will accept one of the following forms of ID:

  • Driver’s License or State ID Card issued by any U.S. State
  • U.S. Passport
  • Foreign Passport
  • U.S. Military Identification Card
  • U.S. Naturalization Certificate

If you cannot provide one of the above forms of ID, you may provide TWO of the items on the following list. ONE of the items must show your current address. Only ONE of the items may be a bill or piece of mail:

  • Utility Bill
  • Medical or Automobile Insurance Card
  • Vehicle Registration
  • Credit Card or Bank Statement
  • Pay Stub
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Public Assistance Card

Social Security Cards are NOT an acceptable form of identification.

Death records for deaths occurring anywhere in Illinois can be requested through the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records: dph.illinois.gov/

For more information on death certificates email vitalrecords@willcounty.gov or call (815) 740-4615.