Couples wishing to marry or join into a civil union in Will County must first apply to the Will County Clerk’s Office for a marriage license or civil union license.

Licenses become effective the day after they are issued and are valid for 60 days. Applicants must appear in person before a Deputy Clerk to obtain their license.

Marriage and civil union licenses are issued at the Will County Clerk’s main office in Joliet and at its satellite locations.

Will County Clerk’s Office
302 N. Chicago St., Joliet IL 60432

(815) 740-4615

  • By Appointment only.
  • Available Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • See COVID-19 Pandemic Schedule of Services for Changes.

Satellite Locations
Satellite Locations issue marriage and civil union licenses by appointment only. Please contact the satellite directly to schedule your appointment.

  • Crete Township Office: 1367 Wood St., Crete IL 60417 – (708) 672-8279
  • DuPage Township Office: 241 Canterbury Ln., Bolingbrook IL 60440 – (630) 759-1317
  • Plainfield Township Office: 22525 W. Lockport St., Plainfield IL 60544 – (815) 436-8308

The marriage or civil union license fee is $28.

  • The Will County Clerk’s Office accepts cash, check, or credit/debit.
  • Satellite locations accept cash only.

Applicants must provide valid identification to obtain their license. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

The Will County Clerk’s Office will accept one of the following forms of ID:

  • Driver’s License or State ID Card issued by any U.S. State
  • U.S. Passport
  • Foreign Passport
  • U.S. Military Identification Card


Two of the following:

  • Certified Birth Certificate
  • Foreign Consulate ID
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card
  • U.S. Naturalization Papers

Any applicant who was previously married or in a civil union must provide documentation detailing how the most recent marriage or civil union ended.


  • If less than one year since dissolution, a certified copy of the Judgement must be provided.
  • If more than one year since dissolution, a non-certified copy (photocopy) of the Judgement is acceptable.


  • A certified copy of the death certificate is required.

Couples are asked to complete the application for marriage or civil union license prior to appearing before a Deputy Clerk. Select the appropriate link below and complete a separate application for each person. Print the completed applications and bring them with you to your appointment.

The Will County Clerk’s Office only issues licenses. We do not solemnize or officiate the marriage or union.

A ceremony may be solemnized by a religious official or other designated officiant as prescribed by any religious denomination, Indian Nation or Tribe or Native Group, provided the officiant be in good standing with said religious denomination, Indian Nation or Tribe or Native Group.

A civil ceremony may be solemnized by a judge of a court of record, or a retired judge, who is in good standing with the Judicial Inquiry Board.

Marriages and civil unions licensed in Will County may be solemnized by a sitting judge at the Will County Courthouse.

The Courthouse is located at 100 W. Jefferson St., Joliet, IL 60432.

There is a $10 fee (cash only, exact change required). No appointment is necessary and no witnesses are required. Judges are available on the following days and times:

  • Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., Courtroom 212
  • Saturdays, arrive by 8:30 a.m., Courtroom 111

For further information on Judge Services, please call the Court Administrator’s Office at (815) 727-8540, or visit

For more information on marriage or civil union licenses email or call us at (815) 740-4615.